Video:Share a File or Folder in Vistawith Don Schechter
With or without using your public folder, you can easily share files in Windows Vista. Follow these simple steps to share a file or folder anywhere on your computer.See Transcript
Transcript:Share a File or Folder in VistaHi, I'm Don Schechter for About.com Computing. Today, I'm going to show you how to share files or folders using Vista.
Sharing Options for Files and FoldersThere are two ways to share a file or folder: moving items into your public folder, or just sharing an individual file or folder without using the public folder. In this video, I'll show you how to share a file or folder anywhere on your computer.
Choose a File to Share
- FIND folder or file you want to share (GO TO Start menu and 'Computer' or 'Search')
- CLICK once on file
- CLICK Share Button, if you own the file or have permission to share it*
Create Permission to Share Files and Folders
- CLICK on user you want to share the file with
- CLICK ADD
- CLICK on the user in your list to select the level of permission they can have from the drop down menu that appears i.e. as a co-owner or only a reader
- CLICK Share when you are finished
Adjust the Vista Settings
- CLICK on 'Network and Sharing Center' on the top of your window
- CLICK on the button next to the file/folder to turn your file shares on/off
- CLICK on the setting you want on the menu that appears
- CLICK 'Apply'
About videos are made available on an "as is" basis, subject to the User Agreement.