Video:Which Documents Establish US Citizenship?with Robert Longley
Proof of U.S. citizenship must be established when dealing with all levels of U.S. government. Learn which documents provide primary evidence of U.S. citizenship.See Transcript
Transcript:Which Documents Establish US Citizenship?Proof of U.S. citizenship must be established when dealing with all levels of U.S. government.
Documents Serving as Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship Are:
- Previously issued, undamaged US passport
- Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state of birth
- Consular Report of Birth (of U.S. citizen) Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
Secondary Documents Can Occasionally Be Substituted as Proof of CitizenshipIf you cannot present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship, you may be able to substitute secondary evidence of U.S. citizenship, as described by the U.S. Department of State.
Thanks for watching. To learn more, visit About.com.
About videos are made available on an "as is" basis, subject to the User Agreement.