Video:Signs Your Thyroid is Causing Your Weight Gainwith Dr. Mary Ann Block
Weight gain and thyroid problems are often times connected. Watch this video from About.com to learn how they can go hand-in-hand.See Transcript
Transcript:Signs Your Thyroid is Causing Your Weight Gain
Hi, I'm Dr. Mary Ann Block, Physician, Author and Medical Director of The Block Center in Dallas/Fort Worth. here for About.com.
Thyroid Problems and Weight Gain
In this video, I'll describe signs that indicate your thyroid is causing your weight gain. If you are experiencing unexplainable weight gain, or you're having a hard time losing weight - it might be because of a problem with your thyroid.
What Does Your Thyroid Do?
Your thryoid has an important job: it releases hormones that give you energy, maintain a healthy skin, and it plays a crucial role in your body's metabolism. When the gland isn't producing enough of these hormones, it can affect the way you feel and look. We call this condition: "hypothyroid" and it can make you tired, depressed, and cause weight gain - among other things.
Signs That There Could be Thyroid Problems
Here are some main signs that could indicate a problem with your thyroid:
- Feeling tired for no apparent reason.
- Failing to lose weight despite diet changes, or unexplainable excessive weight changes
- A feeling of swelling or discomfort in the neck
- Feeling depressed or having sudden anxiety or panic attacks
- Unusually high or low levels of cholesterol can be another indicator, especially if it's not responsive to diet, exercise or medication.
- And finally, family history. Thyroid disease tends to run in families. Your risk also increases as you get older, and you're more likely to have thyroid problems when you're female.
And, if you have another autoimmune disorder, such as type 1 diabetes, you also have a bigger chance of developing a thyroid condition.
For more on thyroid conditions, visit us at Health.About.com. Thanks for watching!