Video:Swedish Massagewith Shana Ting Lipton
Learn about the techniques used during Swedish massage, as well as what you can expect from your first Swedish massage.See Transcript
Transcript:Swedish MassageSwedish massage is a common and popular massage style used the world over. It typically involves disrobing so that you are fully nude underneath sheets, towels and/or blankets on a massage bed. Oil is used for this type of treatment. The massage therapist will uncover each part of your body to isolate treatment on it.
Five Strokes Used During Swedish Massage
There are five classic strokes that are used to stimulate local circulation and to reduce muscle tension during a Swedish massage.
- Efleurage or sliding or gliding consists of long, smooth strokes.
- Petrissage or kneading is a manipulation that squeezes muscles between fingers and thumbs.
- Tapotement or tapping is rhythmic tapping or striking of the muscles with the fingertips or edges of the hands.
- Deep friction or cross fibers is a compressive rubbing that goes deeper into the muscles.
- Vibration is a continuous shaking or trembling movement transmitted from the massage therapists hands and arms.
About videos are made available on an "as is" basis, subject to the User Agreement.