Video:How to Make Pinto Bean Piewith Stephanie Gallagher
Learn how to make a delicious pinto bean pie at home. Here, see step-by-step instructions for how to make pinto bean pie.See Transcript
Transcript:How to Make Pinto Bean PieHi, I'm Stephanie Gallagher for About.com, and today, we're making a pinto bean pie from our Southern Food site.
Ingredients for Pinto Bean PieFor this recipe, you will need:
- 1 cup cooked pinto beans - you can use either canned beans or dried beans that have been cooked and you want to keep a little of the cooking liquid
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3 cups granulated sugar - I happen to be using a natural organic sugar - that's why it's a little brown, but feel free to use regular sugar
- 1-1/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 deep dish or 3 regular pie crusts
Instructions for Making Pinto Bean PiePreheat the oven to 300 degrees.Mash the pinto beans slightly with a fork. Set aside.Now beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl until fluffy. Add the melted butter, the sugar, the mashed pinto beans and their liquid, the coconut and the chopped pecans. And give it all a good stir. This is your pie filling, so make sure the mixture is well-combined.Now pour the filling into the pie shells - there's no need to pre-bake the pie shells. And since i"m using deep dish crusts, I only need two. If I were using regular pie crusts, I would need three.Bake the pies for 1 hour or until the crust is golden and the filling is set. And here is your pinto bean pie.
Thanks for watching. For more great recipes just like this one, join us on the web at About.com.