Video:How to Make Crockpot Tortilla Soupwith Stephanie Gallagher
This Crockpot chicken tortilla soup is made with boneless chicken breasts.See Transcript
Transcript:How to Make Crockpot Tortilla SoupHi, I'm Stephanie Gallagher for About.com, and today, we're making a Crockpot chicken tortilla soup from our Southern Food site.
To Make Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup, You'll Need:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chili pepper, chopped
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes or 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped\
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock - the stock has a slightly richer flavor
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- fresh chopped cilantro
Before Serving the Soup, Fry the Tortilla Strips and Top With CheeseJust before serving, cut the tortillas into 1/4-inch strips with a sharp knife. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tortilla strips, and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain the tortilla strips on paper towels. Serve the chicken tortilla soup topped with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, fresh cilantro and tortilla strips.
Thanks for watching. For more great recipes just like this one, join us on the web at About.com.