Video:How to Make Crockpot Chicken and Gravywith Barbara Jean
This Crock Pot chicken and gravy recipe is delicious and easy to make. Watch this video for tips on how to make this crock pot chicken and gravy dish for dinner.See Transcript
Transcript:How to Make Crockpot Chicken and GravyHi I’m Barbara Jean for about.com. Here’s a chicken and gravy recipe that’ll melt in your mouth after cooking all day in your Crock Pot. You can also create your own variations of this basic recipe.
Ingredients Needed for Crock Pot Chicken and Gravy:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. This recipe works great for boneless turkey breast too!
- 5 medium potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes. To save time and to add a little texture, leave the skin on the potatoes. Sweet potatoes are another great choice!
- 4 celery stalks cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 carrots also cut into 1-inch pieces. Another time saver is to use a half bag of pre-washed mini-carrots
- 1 – 10 ¾ ounce can of cream of chicken soup – or try another cream based soup such as cream of mushroom or cream of broccoli.
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix or any other of your favorite soup mixes.
- For some extra flavor, add ½ cup of freshly chopped onions or green and red bell peppers
Cook the Vegetables and Chicken in the Crock Pot for Six HoursPlace all your vegetables in the bottom of the Crock Pot. Vegetables – especially potatoes – always take longer to cook in a Crock Pot. Next, layer your chicken breasts on top of the vegetables and cover with the creamy soup and dry onion soup mixes. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Try not to go over 6 hours to avoid drying out your chicken.
Be sure your Crock Pot is in a safe place on the center of your counter. Try not to share the plug with any other working appliances – it may effect the cooking time. And don’t fill up your Crock Pot more than 2/3rd’s full. We’re using an extra large Crock Pot for this recipe. Your lid should be centered fit perfectly on the top of the pot and shouldn’t be removed during the cooking process. If you do, you’ll lose up to 30 minutes of cooking time.
Customize the Chicken and Gravy Recipe With Your Own SpicesIf you like a spicier meat, quickly add more seasonings an hour before the cooking time ends. Consider adding a couple teaspoons of other spices such as pre-mixed Greek, Cajun or Italian seasonings. Red pepper flakes will add a little zing to this recipe too. After 6 hours you know your food is ready because your chicken meat will be white in the center and the veggies are fork tender. Because of the combination of creamy and dry soup mixes, your result will be a tender chicken breast with a flavorful crisp coating. Serve with your favorite green vegetables and enjoy lots of leftovers.
Thanks for watching. To learn more visit us on the web at about.com
About videos are made available on an "as is" basis, subject to the User Agreement.