Video:How to Make Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwicheswith Stacey Pennington
There are many ways to serve Italian beef sandwiches. Whether you dip your sandwich into a bowl of sauce, pour the sauce over the sandwich or even dip the bread into the sauce before assembling; the Italian beef sandwich is a classic!See Transcript
Transcript:How to Make Crock Pot Italian Beef SandwichesHi, my name is Stacey Pennington for About.com. Today, I'm going to show you how to make crock pot Italian beef sandwiches. I will show you how to capture that classic flavor for which the sandwich is so famous.
Italian Beef Sandwich IngredientsFor this recipe, you will need:
- 3 lb. to 5 lb. roast; we're using a chuck roast
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed (Note: When using fresh herbs, use double the amount)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine - The wine will work as an acid and will help break down the proteins in the meat, tenderizing while enhancing the flavors. If you choose not to use wine, replace with 1/2 cup stock plus 2 teaspoons of vinegar.
- 1-2 cups beef stock (depending on the size of your roast)
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup of diced onions)
- Chewy, dense bread; Ciabatta or French baguettes, halved
- Giardiniera (hot pickled vegetables)
- Roasted sweet red peppers (fresh or in a jar)
Cooking the Italian BeefTo start, combine all the spices for the rub. Crush and add the garlic to the spices. Add the olive oil and combine. Put the rub mixture on the meat and using your hands, rub it well over the whole surface of the roast. Place the roast into the crock pot. Now sprinkle in the onion, add the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and the red wine. Place the bay leaves into the stock around the roast. Cover and cook high for 6 to 8 hours, or on low for 10 to 12 hours. You'll know that it is ready if the meat flakes apart. (Cooking times may vary depending on the cut and size of beef.)
Making the Italian Beef SandwichCarefully remove the roast from the crock pot and shred the meat into small pieces. When the crock pot has cooled slightly, strain the liquid into a separate bowl or saucepan. (You can add more beef stock to your sauce if needed.) Now, return the shredded beef and sauce to the crock pot and turn on low (or warm) until ready to serve. Now we're ready to plate the sandwich. Take some of the beef and place it in the centre of the bread. Add the giardiniera and roasted red peppers. Add approximately 1/2 cup of the sauce to a small bowl on the plate for dipping your sandwich and you are ready to serve!
Thanks for watching! To learn more about recipes like this and others, visit us on the web at About.com!