Video:How to Make Chicken Rice Casserolewith Gina Miller
Chicken and rice casserole is a delicious baked recipe with an entire meal served in one dish. Try this casserole recipe when you're in need of creamy comfort food dish.See Transcript
Transcript:How to Make Chicken Rice CasseroleHi, I’m Gina Miller with About.com Food and today I’m taking a basic casserole side dish and turning it into a main dish entré – chicken and rice casserole. Rice casserole is always a favorite at any meal, but by adding cooked chicken and a few other ingredients, you now have an entire meal in one baking dish.
To Make Chicken and Rice Casserole, You Will Need:
- 3 cups diced, cooked, boneless chicken, white and dark meat
- 2 cups of cooked long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup of celery diced
- 1/4 cup of red peppers diced
- 1 cup of defrosted frozen green beans
- 1 (8-ounce) can of water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can of condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 cup of american processed cheese, cubed
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Sauté the Vegetables and Mix Remaining Ingredients for the CasseroleOk, here’s how to prepare your chicken and rice casserole. First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, red peppers and the celery then sauté until translucent, usually about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
Next add all the remaining ingredients to bowl. The rice, chicken, green beans, water chestnuts, cream of celery soup, mayonnaise, cup of the cheese, reserving one-fourth cup for the top of the casserole. Salt and pepper. Mix all of the ingredients together. Grease a 3 quart casserole dish with butter. Pour all of the ingredients into the dish. Now bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly, then add the remaining cheese and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
To Make the Casserole More Heart Healthy Consider the Following:
- 1. Use cooking spray to sauté the vegetables and to grease the casserole dish instead of butter
- 2. use a low sodium condensed soup
- 3. Use low fat cheese and mayonnaise.
Thank you for watching and for more information visit us on the web at about.com.