Video:How to Make Brunswick Stewwith Jacob Taxis
Brunswick stew is a delicious, hearty stew that makes for a great family meal. Here are instructions for making Brunswick stew.See Transcript
Transcript:How to Make Brunswick StewHello, I'm Jacob Taxis for About.com. In this video, you will learn how to make Brunswick stew. This is a recipe from About.com's Southern Food site.
Brunswick Stew IngredientsYou'll need:
- A large stockpot or Dutch oven
- 2 lbs. of chicken or pork, or a combination of both, cooked and diced
- 1/2 tsp. of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. of hot sauce, more or less according to taste
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 tbsp. of dried minced onion or garlic powder
- 3-4 tbsp. of bacon drippings
- 1/2 cup of barbeque sauce
- 1-1/2 cups of ketchup
- 2-3 cups of potatoes, cooked and diced
- 3 (15-16 oz) cans of cream-style corn
Cooking the Brunswick StewYou may also want to add the chopped bacon meat into the stew along with the bacon drippings. To prepare for your Brunswick stew endeavor, cook the chicken or pork the day before and refrigerate overnight. Then, dice the meat the day of. Step One: Fill a large stockpot or Dutch oven with all of the listed ingredients. Step Two: Cover with a lid and simmer until the stew is hot and bubbling. Step Three: Sample the stew and adjust the flavors and seasonings according to your taste using salt, pepper and hot sauce. The classic test to see if Brunswick stew is done is to see if the stirring paddle can stand up in the middle. If so, it's time to enjoy your Brunswick stew! Since there is no one official recipe, Brunswick stew is open to adventurous variations by the use of assorted meats and vegetables. Consider serving your stew with some honey cornbread muffins.
Thank you for watching. For more, please visit About.com.
About videos are made available on an "as is" basis, subject to the User Agreement.