Video:How to Make Couscous With Chickenwith Daniel Kazel
Want to learn how to make couscous with chicken? Here, see easy-to-follow instructions.See Transcript
Transcript:How to Make Couscous With ChickenHello, I'm Daniel Kazel for About.com.
Information About Make Couscous With ChickenToday we are making couscous with chicken. The recipe comes from our home cooking site. So, lets get started. Chicken and vegetables are going to add such great flavor to the couscous because most couscous does not have flavor itself. So, with this rich wine sauce flavored with tomatoes, herbs, and spices, then served on a bed of couscous. It is going to taste delicious.
Ingredients for Couscous With ChickenThe large amount of ingredients you are going to need are:
- 1 (3 pounds) chicken, cut into serving pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) peeled whole plum tomatoes, drained and chopped (about 1 pound fresh tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups defatted chicken broth or vegetable stock, divided
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chile flakes, harissa, or other hot pepper sauce
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) cooked garbanzos (chick peas), they are a fiber enrich legume, with a chest-nutty flavor. Rinsed and drained
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 3 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking or "instant" couscous
- Harissa or liquid pepper sauce
Instructions for Making Couscous With ChickenIn preparation for you chicken, Rinse chicken, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large casserole or Dutch oven, brown chicken, and remove; add onion, carrot, and garlic and saute until softened. Add tomatoes, cumin, and allspice and cook for 5 minutes, stirring; stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth, wine, and red chile flakes and return chicken to casserole. Cover and simmer 15 minutes; add zucchini and simmer until chicken is tender (20 to 30 minutes more). Next, stir in tomato paste, add garbanzos and half the chopped cilantro or parsley, heat through.
While chicken is simmering, bring remaining chicken broth (and butter if you are using it) to a boil and add in your couscous. Couscous can be cooked like rice, when you heat the butter, add your couscous, cover and cook. Canned garbanzo beans are pre-cooked and are ready to heat and eat. You'll know when the couscous is cooked when all the water is absorbed. A tip for not overcooking, don't leave the heat on high temperature. Another tip is you can blend the garbanzo beans for a smother texture. Stir well, cover and remove from heat. Let couscous stand 5 minutes, fluff with fork, and spoon onto serving platter. Arrange chicken and vegetables around it, pour some sauce over the top, and garnish with remaining cilantro or parsley. Serve with harissa or other liquid pepper sauce. This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Thanks for watching. To learn more, visit us on the web at About.com.
About videos are made available on an "as is" basis, subject to the User Agreement.