Video:Cheesy Meatballs With Caper Sauce Recipewith Stephanie Gallagher
This cheesy meatballs with caper sauce recipe is made with pork sausage, ground chicken and Parmesan cheese. A briny caper sauce adds great flavor to these cheesy meatballs. Here's how to make meatballs with cheese in a caper sauce.See Transcript
Transcript:Cheesy Meatballs With Caper Sauce RecipeHi, I'm Stephanie Gallagher for About.com, and today, we're making cheesy meatballs with caper sauce from our Home Cooking site.
Meatballs With Cheese in Caper Sauce IngredientsFor this recipe, you will need:
- 1 lb. sage-flavored bulk pork sausage – and if you can't find sage-flavored sausage, simply mix 1/2 tsp. dried sage with regular pork sausage
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (don't use the canned stuff - it won't taste as good)
- 1 small sweet onion, finely-chopped
- 4 medium cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp. anchovy paste or 2 anchovy filets, minced – don't skip this, it really adds an essential flavor to this recipe
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups chicken, beef or veal stock, or a combination
Cook the Cheesy MeatballsPlace the sausage, ground chicken, Parmesan cheese, onions, garlic, anchovy paste, Dijon mustard, lemon zest, parsley, egg and heavy cream in a bowl. Add salt and pepper, and mix well with your hands. You don't want to overwork the meat, but you want it to be well combined. Now, form the meat mixture into 1-inch meatballs. Bring the stock to a simmer in a large pot. I'm using a wide deep skillet, so I can get a lot of the meatballs in at once, but I'll still have to make them in two batches. Now, add the meatballs in a single layer. Cover, and let them simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the meatballs to a plate (cover to keep warm). And repeat with the second batch of meatballs. Now, strain the cooking broth and reserve 2 cups of it to make the sauce.
Caper Sauce IngredientsFor the sauce, you will need:
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped capers
Make Caper Sauce and Add to Meatballs With CheeseMelt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk until the flour turns a light golden color. Add the white wine, and whisk it in and cook for a minute. Then, add the 2 cups of the reserved meatball cooking liquid. Whisk and add the lemon juice. Cook the sauce, whisking constantly, until smooth and thickened. Add the capers, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the meatballs to the sauce, and stir to coat them well. Serve the cheesy meatballs with the caper sauce over rice or noodles.
Thanks for watching. For more great recipes just like this one, join us on the web at About.com.