Video:Spring Break in South Padre Island for College Studentswith Gina Miller
Spring break on South Padre Island can be a great idea for college-aged young adults. Watch this video from About.com to learn all about what you can expect from South Padre Island.See Transcript
Transcript:Spring Break in South Padre Island for College Students
Hi I'm Gina Miller for About.com here with an overview of some tips for College Students who visit South Padre Island during spring break.
South Padre Island Basics
Located south of Corpus Christi Texas, South Padre Island is a popular destination for Spring Break parties.
Tips for Spring Breaking at South Padre Island
Here are a few tips to make a Spring Break vacation more enjoyable and safe.
1. Although drinking is legal on the SPI beach, you must be 21. Always keep your ID with you at all times, you will mostly likely be asked to present it to security officers during your visit.
2. No glass of any kind is allowed on the beach. If you bring glass on the beach you may get a hefty fine.
3. Parking on side streets is forbidden along with many areas adjacent to the ocean. So watch for signage! Parking tickets are very expensive.
4. You can Obtain Street Parking permits from SPI City Hall if you are renting a condo or house. Be sure and bring your lease agreement when applying for the permit.
More Tips for Spring Breaking at South Padre Island
5. Compared to many Spring Break locations, South Padre Island is one of the safer places to celebrate, due to it's large police and security staff patrolling the streets and beaches 24/7.
6. SPI HAS AN Efficient Flag Advisory System that is used to inform visitors of surf conditions. A red flag for high surf means dangerous currents. A yellow flag means calm to moderate seas. And a blue flag warns swimmers of venomous marine life. So swim at your own risk because there are no life guards on the beaches.
7. There are dozens of great dining options, and restaurants for every taste. Since South Padre Island is right on the Gulf of Mexico, you will find fresh seafood, and being so close to the border, the Mexican food is very authentic and delicious as well.
8. SPI nightlife is in abundance. There are dozens of great bars to choose from, some filled with live music or DJ's and vibrating dance floors, and many bars have panoramic views of the Gulf of Mexico making for a great ambiance.
Here are some final tips. Put your safety first, stay with your group and don't wander off alone with strangers. Follow the State laws, and don't forget to drink and drive responsibly. And always have a designated driver.
And those were some tips for college students visiting South Padre Island Texas during Spring Break.
Thank you for watching and for more information visit us online at About.com.