Video:How to Do the Cha Cha Slidewith Jonathon E. Stewart
Learn the Cha Cha Slide, step by step, and you'll be the hit of every party from the East coast to the West coast.See Transcript
Transcript:How to Do the Cha Cha SlideIf you've never danced the classic Casper Cha Cha Slide, well, then you've never really lived. And, even if you've got two left feet and rhythm like Navin R. Johnson at the beginning of The Jerk, there's hope for you yet.
Learn the StepsSince DJ Mr. C tells you what to do and when to do it, all you need to know is a few basic, and funky, steps:
- "Clap your hands!" is just a simple clap on the off-beat.
- "Take it to the left!" is a simple step-cross behind-step-touch starting with your left foot, and same thing to the right, just starting with your right.
- "Take it back now!" is just three steps back, starting with your left once again.
- "One hop this time!" is a hop, sometimes this will number will be more.
- "Right foot let's stomp!" is a stomp with your right foot, same for your left.
- "Now, Cha-Cha!" is about as tough as it gets, which isn't that tough. Just rock forward then back on your right foot and cha cha cha, then forward on your left, cha cha cha.
- "Turn it out!" is simply a half turn to the left, leading with your right foot into the basic step-cross behind-step-touch. "Let's go to work!" is the same thing, without the turn to the left.
- "Slide to the left!" is a step with your left, then just slide your right over to meet it. Same thing to the right.
- "Crisscross!" is a scissor jump where you cross your right over your left, then back to square one.
- "Hands on your knees!" is just what it sounds like.
- "Freeze!" is a freeze, with attitude.
- "Clap your hands!" this time fast, on the beat.
- "How low can you go?" just means to keep getting closer to the ground.
- "Bring it to the top!" is back to standing.
- "Reverse!" is a little hop that faces you backwards. "Reverse! Reverse! is two hops that brings you full circle back to front-facing.
- "Charlie Brown!" is easy, too––just step and lean forward on your right foot while kicking back your left, then back to standing, and repeat.
About videos are made available on an "as is" basis, subject to the User Agreement.