Video:How to Make Vegetable Fried Ricewith Stephanie Gallagher
Learn how to make vegetable fried rice that your whole family will enjoy. Here, see easy-to-follow instructions for making vegetable fried rice.See Transcript
Transcript:How to Make Vegetable Fried RiceHi, I'm Stephanie Gallagher for About.com, and today, we're making vegetable fried rice from our Chinese Food site.
Ingredients for Vegetable Fried RiceFor this recipe, you will need:
- 2 Tbsp. oil for stir-frying
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger - you can find pre-minced fresh ginger usually in the produce section of your supermarket near the minced garlic or you can just take fresh ginger and mince it yourself
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, peas or a combination of both
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 3-1/2 cups cooked scented rice - scented rice is long-grain jasmine rice
- 2 tsp. soy sauce - or more or less to tasteblack pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1 green onion, chopped
Instructions for Making Vegetable Fried RiceHeat the oil in a wok and swirl to coat the wok. Add the fresh ginger and stir fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.Add the onions and stir fry for about 2 minutes, until they become light golden in color.Push the onions to the side, and add the frozen peas and/or corn. Stir-fry for a minute or so, and push them to the side. Now add the red peppers in the middle of the wok, and stir fry for 1 minute.Push to the sides, and add the rice to the wok. Stir-fry it a bit, then gradually incorporate the vegetables into the rice. There's no real need to stir fry the rice by itself much more than a minute because it's already cooked. It just needs to be heated through.Now add the soy sauce, stir that in. And add some freshly-ground black pepper, and stir that in. Add the cashews and finally the green onions. And stir fry just to incorporate them.Serve the vegetable fried rice immediately.
Thanks for watching. For more great recipes just like this one, join us on the web at About.com.