Video:How to Make British Chickpea Currywith Laurel Pajer
British chickpea curry is a delicious, healthy dish that takes little time to make. Watch this how-to video from About.com for an easy recipe for British chickpea curry.See Transcript
Transcript:How to Make British Chickpea Curry
Hello, I'm Laurel from About.com. Today we are making chickpea curry.
Tips for Making British Chickpea Curry
This dish is is packed with healthy ingredients and tastes good. So let's get started. It is quick and easy to make and is even better if made in advance and kept for a day before eating. Chickpea Curry also freezes very well so make a batch but omit the fresh coriander garnish until serving. Your prep time is 30 minutes, your cook time is 30 minutes and your total time is 1 hour.
Ingredients for British Chickpea Curry
The ingredients you will need are:
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 inches or 4 cm of fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander (which are the dried seeds of a cilantro plant)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 fl oz/150ml of vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 oz or 225g of white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 15-oz or 425g can of chickpeas, drained
- 2 oz or 50g of creamed coconut
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro/coriander plus extra unchopped for garnish
- 3 oz/75g toasted, flaked almonds (optional)
Start the British Chickpea Curry
For your preparation, take a large skillet/frying pan and gently fry the garlic, ginger and spices in 1 tablespoon of oil. Take care not to burn. Add the chopped tomatoes and the vegetable stock. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Blend in a food processor or liquidizer to create a paste. Keep to one side.
In the same skillet used before heat the remaining oil and fry the onions for 3 minutes, add the mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes more. Pour the curry paste over the cooked onions and mushrooms, add the chickpeas and chopped cilantro/coriander.
Finish the British Chickpea Curry
On a gentle heat cook for 15 minutes. Finally stir in the creamed coconut and almonds, for great texture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, garnished with fresh cilantro/coriander. Or cool and refrigerate or freeze.
Thanks for watching. To learn more about curry recipes, visit us at About.com.