Video:Healthy Greek Turkey Burger Recipewith Bonnie Zaiss
This recipe for a Greek turkey burger isn't just a tangy and delicious variation on the classic burger, it's also quite healthy. See how to prepare it.See Transcript
Transcript:Healthy Greek Turkey Burger RecipeHi, I'm Bonnie Zaiss for About.com food. Today I’m going to show you how to make a fabulous turkey burger with an exotic taste.
Turkey Burger IngredientsHere are the ingredients you need for your yummy healthy Greek turkey burger:
- Start off with a pound of ground turkey. A combination of dark and white meat is best. It’s juicier than all white meat.
- ½ cup of crumbled feta cheese.
- ½ cup of cooked spinach squeezed dry.
- ½ cup of chopped onions. You can add ½ cup of green or red peppers too.
- Dill – one of my favorites so I add 2 teaspoons of yummy dill. You can choose fresh or dried seasonings. Just remember that dried is more potent and should be about half the portion of fresh.
- Oregono - is another great spice that works well dry or fresh
- Cumin – not one of my favorites but it does add a punch so I only use about ½ teaspoon
- About a ½ teaspoon of salt
- And ½ to 3/4 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper.
Mix Ingredients TogetherNow take all these yummy ingredients and thoroughly toss them together. It’s important to spread all the spices out evenly across the turkey meat. You’ll end up with 4 healthy size burgers.
Make Greek Yogurt SauceNext we’re going to make a quick and easy sauce that’ll end your love for ketchup forever. We’re going to use a cup of plain yogurt. You can use low fat or greek style if you prefer.
Add about of teaspoon of freshly grated lemon zest, 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1-2 teaspoons of fresh or dried dill. Add just a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper. Mix it all together for a great refreshing sauce.
Grill or Fry BurgersFry or grill your burgers just like a regular hamburger. But remember it’s turkey and needs to be cooked all the way through. If you’ve got a thermometer, make sure the temperature is at 155 degrees. Cooking 5 to 6 minutes on each side should do it.
Assemble BurgersAnd then assemble your burger with any of your favorite toppings lettuce, tomato, red onion and avocado is great too on a whole grain or wheat bun.
Thanks for watching. To learn more, visit us on the Web at Food.About.com.
About videos are made available on an "as is" basis, subject to the User Agreement.