Video:Prevent Accidental Poisoningswith Kathy Moore
Kids are naturally curious, and childproof locks aren't foolproof. Find out how to prepare your home and yard to help prevent accidental poisonings.See Transcript
Transcript:Prevent Accidental PoisoningsHi, I'm Kathy Moore for About.com Parenting. Kids are curious. They love to explore and open drawers and cupboards. Though childproof locks are critical, they are not foolproof.
This program will explore the dangers of accidental poisonings, and what to do if you suspect your child has put something in her mouth.
When to Increase Security in Your HouseEvery parent is excited when their infant begins to crawl and walk. These are important milestones. They are also a signal that the security within the house needs to be increased.
Anything your child finds while he is exploring will be put in his mouth. It is a natural instinct for babies and young children. So your job is to keep dangerous items out of reach.
Prepare Your HomeYou can start by only using and keeping household products and medicines that are absolutely necessary. Safely discard the products that are just cluttering up your home.
Keep all products in their original containers so you will have their ingredients list and warning labels on hand in case of an emergency.
Make sure dangerous products are safely capped. Lastly, make sure the cabinets where these products are kept are secured with safety locks. Out of sight usually means out of reach for children.
Prepare your YardDo not forget about the plants in your home and yard, too. Be familiar with your plants and never allow your child to eat wild plants, mushrooms, roots, or berries.
Signs of an Accidental PoisoningChildren who have swallowed something poisonous may experience difficulty breathing, throat pain, or burns to the lips and mouth.
If you suspect your child has put something poisonous in his mouth, call the Poison Help Line immediately, 1-800-222-1222.
If your child stops breathing or goes into convulsions, call 911. Remember to bring whatever you think your child swallowed with you to the emergency room.
Keep an Eye on Your KidsAlmost anything can be considered poisonous if taken in large doses. So, prepare your house accordingly and keep a mindful eye on your kids.
Thanks for watching. To learn more, visit us on the Web at parenting.about.com.
About videos are made available on an "as is" basis, subject to the User Agreement.