Video:How to Prevent Fires in the Homewith Debbie Anderson
Is your home at risk for a fire? Check out these tips on what you can do to help reduce the chances of having a fire in your house.See Transcript
Transcript:How to Prevent Fires in the HomeFire. It keeps us warm, but it can also destroy your life. With nearly 81 percent of fire related deaths happening in the home each year, its best if you can prevent a fire before it happens.
I'm Debbie Anderson for About.com, and today we are going on a journey through your house to show you what not to do.
Check Electrical Outlets and Power CordsFirst, double check all of the electrical outlets in the home to make sure that none of the outlets are overloaded with power cords.
Next, double check each of the power cords plugged into the wall to ensure that the cords don't have any rips, tears, or frays, as old and worn out power cords can easily create fires.
Store Candles in a Safe PlaceAs you work your way through the home, scan each room for candles and matches. If you do have candles out, never leave a candle burning in the room unattended or near any type of cloth or paper materials.
Also, make sure that matches and lighters are stored in a safe, high, or out of the way location where children can't reach them.
Be Careful With Burning CigarettesFor those of you that smoke, beyond the best tip, which is to never leave a burning cigarette unattended, remember to never keep ashtrays near upholstered furniture or curtains, and never smoke in bed.
Use Space Heaters SafelyNext, always plug space heaters directly into the wall socket and not into an extension cord.
When using space heaters, double check that all heaters are placed in a safe, out of the way location where they are less likely to be kicked, tipped over, or positioned where they can create excessive heat on the surrounding walls or furniture.
When using a space heater, never place damp shoes or clothing too close to the heater because the material can become excessively warm and catch fire when left unattended. Always unplug space heaters that are not in use.
Store Flammable Materials in a Safe PlaceWhen storing flammable materials, such as paint thinner, paint cans, or other flammable materials, keep these items as far away as possible from open flames in waters heaters and gas stoves.
Check Smoke AlarmsNever leave cooking food unattended on top of the stove, and always remember to turn off the stove and unplug kitchen appliances after you have finished cooking.
Finally, double-check that smoke alarms are placed high on the wall or on the ceiling near bedrooms and on every level of the home. Test the batteries every month and remember to replace the batteries at least once a year.
Keep a Fire Extinguisher in the HomeAlthough only a few states now require fire extinguishers in the home, it is highly recommended that you keep a Residential ABC Class fire extinguisher near the kitchen in an easily accessible location.
And there you have it, no more fires. Thank you for watching. To learn more, please visit us on the Web at About.com.
About videos are made available on an "as is" basis, subject to the User Agreement.