Video:Homemade Steak Saucewith Chef John Mitzewich
Why pay money for a bottled steak sauce when you can easily make one that tastes even better at home? Check out this recipe for homemade steak sauce.See Transcript
Transcript:Homemade Steak SauceHi, I'm Chef John Mitzewich for About.com. No more bottles for us. Today I'm going to show you how to make you own homemade steak sauce.
Steak Sauce IngredientsNow I don't want to name brands, but I think this is going to be just a good one that you are familiar with at the store. We're going to start this really simple recipe with:
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup aged balsamic vinegar. I say aged because it tends to be a higher quality. This is going form the base, the sweet and sour of this great steak sauce. The whole idea of a steak sauce is to bring out the meaty favor in whatever you serve this with.
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup. It will give us a nice color and also sweetness and acidity.
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard. Don't substitute or you won't get the same product.
- a pinch of cayenne for some heat
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove cut in half. Don't crush it; we just want a hint of garlic.
Combine the Steak Sauce IngredientsGive that a mix and we're going to put that on the stove on low heat and we're going to simmer that for 15 minutes. When I say low simmer, I mean we want the bubbles just breaking the surface. You don't want a rolling boil or it may get too thick.
Adjust the Seasoning of the Steak SauceAfter 15 minutes, we're going to strain this through a fine mesh strainer. Squeeze out all the juice.
Before you adjust the seasoning, you have to let this cool completely. If you season this hot, it will taste different when it's cold.
So, once it's cool, then taste for salt and pepper. I don't give amounts at this point because everyone's tongues are different. Tongues are like snowflakes. So adjust for your own taste.
Serve the Steak SauceNow, as far as serving suggestions, I really like this with steak. Look at how delicious that looks. Looks at that, let me try this mmm unbelievable. You can't fake pleasure-full steak sauce noises like that.
This is a really simple easy recipe to make, one that I think you'll enjoy making at home. I hope you give it a try. Enjoy.
Thanks for watching. To learn more, visit us on the web at food.about.com.
About videos are made available on an "as is" basis, subject to the User Agreement.